Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Evasion of the Letter

In the early 1940s, I had leash young children and was working at the Post position in Mishawaka, Indiana. I was looking send on to at extensive last getting to go to take again. Indiana University was opening move a campus in south Bend, only if about 5 miles away from my house and I was hoping to go there. I lastly became the poster child for the youthful campus. I wanted to go to college and then medical school at Indiana University to deform a General Practiti unityr. My bank line at the Post Office was during World War II, and adept of my responsibilities was to sort the mail. I oft cut of potation garner come though. I dutifully pick out them into the right put in to get to the right person.\nI was wondering if I was spillage to see a letter with my induce on it. What was I going to do if one did come though? I decided if I motto a letter with my name on it, I would get word to avoid getting draughted. It finally occurred to me that if a letter came in fo r me, I could sort it into the ill-use bin. When a plan annotate was sent to a person, it had a call up fancy on it. The call up date was the day that the receiver had answer for to the draft board. By law, there were a received number of days the recipient had to have received the draft notice before they had to report to the draft board. If a draft letter withalk too long to get to me, then it would be void. The draft board had to re-issue a call-up letter and I would be safe for a while.\n concisely enough, a draft letter came addressed for me, I saw it, and slid it into the bin marked geographical zone 9, which is the west coast. The mail would go to the zone, and then be sorted by state where it would be re-routed to Indiana. Finally, it would be sorted again, more than finely, within the streets. By the clip it got back to me, it would be too late for me to report to the draft board. I looked around and only saw my coworkers minding their own business. nobody saw me put the letter in the Zone 9 bin, I was safe.\nI had to be careful; n...

No comments:

Post a Comment