Thursday, February 28, 2019

ICT in society Essay

IntroductionICT is a major part of my life, many jobs require ICT skills, thitherfore, calculating machines be becoming progressively to a sweller extent(prenominal) utilizeful to me, they be fantastic for work, discipline, or expectantly for fun. fitting about foreverything rotter be d adept on a computer, and just about anywhere in the realness I could write an essay, give a charge some old pyjamas, talk to a friend on the different side of the world or regular(a) order a pizzaIn this as squeezement I bequeath be foc utilize on 6 features of the computer, which I implement in everyday life. These be* unison downloads* Word bear upon* Online looseness* personalizedised spaces/web commits* Online Auctions* beat communicateengineeringP/S/WRWhere useCategoryLimewirre ad hominem spot pastimeMicrosoft WordPersonal + WorkHome and schoolEducationOnline gamesPersonalHomeEntertainmentMyspacePersonal/ tenderHomeSocialEbay.comPersonalHomeShoppingMSN messengerSocia lHome/SchoolSocialFor flock of my generation, you would align it hard to find a job in which you dont need ICT skills, as in the contiguous 10 years, I think only jobs will rely on computing. 20, nevertheless 10 years ago you would of found it very easy to find a job that doesnt require computing skills, as computers were rarer, a lot less advanced and a lot more overpriced than they are at one timeMost throng in England of my age take been bought up with computers therefore we would find them a lot easier to use, and perhaps a lot less daunting than some older bulk. However I think we take it all for granted. in that respect are many millions of children more or less the globe that take innt had the opportunity to be educated on computers many subscribe to never even seen oneThe way in which I use ICT at home and at school.Music Downloads Home personalCDs scram non always been the spark advance music medium, there have been many other ways to see to music, includi ng, Vinyl discs, cassettes and wax cylinders. However since their introduction in 1982 CDs remained the most popular source of music up until roughly 7 years ago when Napster (a music swapping site) was released. Music download software has been ever evolving since wherefore, and is now commonly used all over the world. Music downloads cease you to get access to millions of songs right in front of you, whenever you sine qua non. You set up misdirect songs off itunes (the worlds biggest online music store) for 79p severally. However many mislabeled softwares have been produced, this way you bum get your songs for bounteous, only if you could face a big fine.i used to use a P2P sharing software called Limewire, plainly I later realised that I was downloading my files illegally, and the quality of songs was of a low measurement. However I opted for my own files non to be shared, this way nobody could access the files on my computer.. I could cod pretty much any song/file I requirement at a touch of a outlet. The speed of download depends on how fast my net income connection is, how fast the source of the files Internet connection is and how large the file itself is. A song domiciliate take anything from 30 seconds to many hours.This programme is illegal as you are breaching the copyright lawfulness. However copyright for a song only shoemakers lasts for 50 years, so if I was wishing to download a song more than 50 years old, it is legal to download this song without having to purchase it. It is not only music that I could download from Limewire, I could download, PowerPoint presentations, word records, films, Internet pages, casts and many more. MP3 files are the most commonly used form of digital music, and this is what I use. I have an Ipod, and MP3 files are the only digital data formatting it recognises.There are many other file sharing programmes other than Limewire, including, Napster, Aries and Bareshare. I did not only use the songs I downloaded from Limewire for pose onto my ipod, entirely I occasionally made compilation CDs, where I downloaded various songs and burned them all onto a CD employ Windows Media fraud or iTunes.The advantages of utilize illegal P2P software much(prenominal) as Limewire* Files I download are 100% free* There is generally a bigger range of files on programmes such(prenominal) as Limewire* I do not have to enter any bank detailsThe disadvantages of utilise illegal P2P software such as Limewire* You could face a herculean fine* Most songs come without album covers/artwork* Files are more the the likes ofs ofly to be corrupt* Viruses are spread through with(predicate) programmes such as Limewire* I whitethorn not always get what I ask for, e.g. the song I want may be raceway short, or maybe the wrong song entirelyWord touch Home personal and school personal.Of all the things you toilette do on a computer word process is one of the most much used. Before computers were aro und you would have to use a typewriter or even just pen and paper. But as techno entery has evolved so has the way in which garners, essays, and books e.t.c. are written.I use word processing at home and at school, at home mostly for twats of homework, and at school for school-work, mainly in ICT or sometimes we would go down to the ICT dwell to visit websites related to various subjects and then we would have to write a report on that website, using Microsoft Word. I find Word processing incredibly easy, all you need is a keyboard, the software, and of course a computer Every letter you type on the keyboard will then be dis moveed on the monitor. I have used Microsoft Word (a word processing software) for this piece of coursework. Microsoft word is by far the worlds favourite word mainframe and now comes as standard with most computers you defile. Not only target you type on a word processor solely you butt joint, augment on pictures, format fonts (the size, colour, style) , spell check, mail merge, draw and lots moreAfter having written a document on Microsoft Word it is outmatch to check it for spelling and grammatical wrongdoings, you drive out do this by using the spell check tool, just press F7 or click the button at the top of your screen. This will then go through all the mistakes it recognises and will give suggestions on how to correct them. You cigaret accept the kind by clicking change or overlook the change by clicking ignore However, spell check does have its downsides, if I was to write when are you sacking to right your essay? spell check would not pick up that I have written right instead of write. Therefore, I have to be extra careful and always proofread my work by and by I have performed a spell check.Since I got my computer around six years ago, my awareness of the keyboard has become greater. This has increased the speed in which I write a document and I now touch that I can type a document or letter quicker than I can wr ite it with a pen. I also feel if I was to make a mistake on a letter written in pen on paper, then I would have to start again, where as if I make a mistake whilst compose a letter on the computer I can easily correct it using the keyboard or spell check, without it looking a mess.Advantages of using a word processor such as MS word* Word processed documents look neater than pen written documents* musical composition check facilities are accessible without having to start your work again* There are many fonts available, so you can format your work depending on how you want it to look* You can insert pictures easily* If you loose a document you only have to print it off again, instead of writing it again.Disadvantages of using a word processor such as MS word* Work can be lost if your computer crashes* musical composition checkers do not always pick up mistakesOnline Gaming Home personal and Home social.Games have been around for millions of years, you can consort games outsid e, inside, on your own or in a group. There are many different sorts of games, board games, video games or simple games like hide and seek. In this part of this assignment I am deprivation to be talking about online bid, an aspect of the Internet of which has boomed within the last 5 years.Online romp has made an incredible rise today it is one of the major aspects of the Internet. There are hundreds of websites around erecting games, some free and some you have to pay for. Children can play these games and so can adults, no matter how old you are or what your hobby is, theres a game out there somewhere for you, in that big wide world of the Internet. You can play games to win money, or just to have fun and be placed on the leader board. Some of these games are for download and many of them you can play on a website, games that are strictly for download are often smash or bigger than games on a website.Some games including World Of war Craft have over 10million players These arent all children, millions of these are adults, games like this are appealing as they let you play the role of a character. I can reproof, make friends or just fight against an enemy. Online playing period is not just available on a PC but on other games consoles such as the Xbox or the Playstation. Many games released for these consoles embroil services such as Netplay (a online service provided by Sonys Paystation) or Xbox Live (an online service provided by Microsofts Xbox). These services allow me to play my game as usual, but I can also log into the appropriate service and play the exact same game but against millions of people all over the globe. I can speak to them through a headset or chat to them via a keyboard.Advantages / Disadvantagesbookmakers such as Ladbrokes and William hummock have provided online gambling sites that allow you to win money via betting or having a game of poker without having to step out of your front door. I have not experienced any gambling w ebsites and I am underage 18 (the legal age for gambling.) Not all online gaming sites offer cash prizes however. Sites such as miniclip.com offer free, harmless, gaming fun, for people of all ages. Miniclip is proud to host over 400 online games fitting in to 17 categories. Miniclip has multiplayer games or single player games that I play by myself. Multiplayer games can either be played against people around the world, or against a friend sharing the same keyboard as me, but using different control keys.Computer outlets have now brought out finicky game related hardware (controllers) for detail online games, as some of these online games have enceinte so bigI believe that within that next 5-10 years there will be no need to pervert games consoles, as computers will have them already built in, and all gaming will be done via a computer.Personal spaces/websites Home personal and Home social.15 years ago it was a privilege for a large company to have a website, as they cost a lot of money to design and the Internet world was just beginning. In this day and age nigh anybody can get a website, you can pay or even get one for free. Personal website hosts, such as myspace and msn offer free personal websites, for you to essentially advertise yourself.Myspace the worlds most popular personal space host has close to 200million members, and there is more signing up everyday. Whether you are an amateur histrion or just a member of the public, myspace will have specific designs for you. Many musicians careers are started via myspace, for example the arctic monkeys, they made a write on myspace and just a year later they had the UKs fastest alloting album ever Myspace has now become more of a fashion statement most celebrities even have a Myspace profile.On myspace I can add other profiles as my friends so basically the more profiles I add, the more friends you have. These friends appear on my profile, I can either choose to march 4,8,16 or 24 top friends or not show any at all. I can add anybody to be my friend, but I can restrict whom I want to be my friend by putting a block against people that dont know me. I can chat to others via comments or message others via messages, each comment I send to someone is displayed on their profile, but only the last fifty are directly displayed.I can personalise my profile using layouts supplied by other websites, I can add songs, videos, games and pictures. To start with, my myspace domain is displayed as my myspace friendID but as I join I have the picking to change it to a personalised domain. Myspace has many features that are designed to entertain the public, and its growth has been stir to many other websites of its kind. I find myspace very useful, as I can visit friends profiles, and chat to them via comments, messages and even myspace second messenger. I live quite far away from school, so it is more awkward for me to visit friends after school time, however I can maintain in touch wi th them via myspace.Online Auctions Home personalMost people have been to an auction bridge at one point in their life, whether it be to bid for an full stop or just to experience what an auction is like. on with pretty much everything, auctions have been transferred onto the Internet, websites such as Ebay.co.uk offer online auctions, and sell thousands of products everyday. Ebay is not the only website offering this service, but it is the one I am going to write about as both my family and I use it.Ebay has grown from a small business, to one of the worlds most frequently used/visited websites. As long as you have an account with Ebay you can buy or sell almost any product you wish (within the law of course). Some products sell for 1p and some for hundreds of thousands of pounds. I can find everything on Ebay, useless or useful, from a chocolate bar wrapper, to a luxury villa in Florida.However Ebay not only supports auctioning, but I can buy percentage points at fixed prices as well, this service is called buy it now, in many cases the seller may include both a but it now and an auction. If the buyer wanted an item there and then, then they would choose buy it now, although the price is normally a bit higher than that of the auction. Another service has also recently come into action, which is basically a service where I can buy the item for a fixed price or if this was a bit to expensive for me, I could enter an amount that the I would consider to buy it for, if the seller accepts, the item is mine for the price i suggested.Ebay offer lots of services to plant how many hits your auction will get, these are optional but will cost extra, as it is likely that your product will fetch a greater amount of money. Ebay is a great service however it is not 100% free, they charge a leaning fee for every item I put on Ebay of 12p plus any extra charges I want to include this include.* heading pictures Add a small strain of your selected picture to search res ults* Gallery plus Display a bigger picture in search results when buyers mouse over Enlarge. free people Gallery Picture included.* Subtitle Display a larger picture in search results when buyers mouse over Enlarge. Free Gallery Picture included.* Highlight Make your listing stand out in search results with a brightly-coloured band* Plus many moreEbay is available in 27 different countries, each website being adapted for each country. Not everybody makes a profit on Ebay, either because their item may not sell. If I wanted to I can decide to give a percentage or all of my profits to charity. Ebay have grown so big and so successful that they even have shops set(p) all around the UK which offer a pawning service, if you take items into the shops they will offer an amount to buy that item off youThe advantages of using an online auction site such as Ebay.* I can purchase an item on the click of a button.* The item is advertised to millions of people worldwide.The advantages of us ing an online auction site such as Ebay.* Your considerablys may be faulty* Your good may not turn up* Your computer may crash.Instant Messaging Home socialInstant messaging is nothing wise the telephone has always been a quick way of getting a message to a friend. However with the world moving onto computers so has newsbreak messaging, for the last ten years now, Windows has provided a computer based instant(prenominal) messaging service. It involves downloading a software (however, this comes as standard with most computers) called windows messenger. both I need to be able to use this software is an msn or hotmail email address. Many other companies followed in windows footsteps and also released instant messaging programmes, including Yahoo and AOL (America Online) I personally use Windows Live messenger, an update of Windows Messenger.And it helps me to oblige in touch with friends and family after school, I prefer using this to using the phone as messenger is free, where as you have to pay to use the phone. You can only speak to or message someone if they are on your contact list, for someone to be on your contact list you have to have had added their email address and waited for them to accept your invitation. I can not only message people using text on messenger, but I can even draw using an extra feature than windows provides with its software. Or if none of these appeal to me, I could even chat to them using my microphone and watch them, if I/they have a web-cam.When I sign in to windows live messenger I have the option to appear* Offline* Busy* Be right back* In a call* Away* Out to lunch* Or onlineThis can cook whether people speak to me or not, as sometimes when I sign in to messenger I am bombarded by people lacking to chat to me, this can get very frustrating as it is hard to speak to more than one person at a time.Messenger gives you the option to save your ChatLogs, ChatLogs are a record of a dialogue I have on msn, so if I forgot wh at I state to somebody I could simply check my ChatLogs which are saved in a folder of my choice.I do not have to keep my conversation window up all the time, I can smear it, and every time someone messages me it will flash orange at the bottom of my screen. This is handy as if I was writing a document at the same time as chatting to a friend, I would not have to keep the conversation window open. Contacts recognise by the display nominate I chose, and the display picture I chose, my display name could be anything I wish, but may only contain numbers racket and letters. My display picture may also be anything I wish, but animated pictures will not work.Computers affect my life a great deal, without them I would not be able to complete work to the standard which I do so at the moment. I use computers almost everyday for homework, I not only use the features I have mentioned but many other programmes/features as well, which help me in complemental and presenting my work. At school I study ICT and I am forever and a day learning new things, and my understanding of computers is forever broadening.

No comments:

Post a Comment